Monday 21 May 2018

Double Luna Moth!

Just over two years ago, I managed to get my hands on a complete set of original Joel Scholz dual-line kites: Neptune, Jaws, Kestrel, Hummer and Luna Moth.


Not often that you see the full set in one picture; even Joel himself had never seen a picture with all five!

Of course, Neptune pairs up with Jaws, and the same goes for Kestrel and Hummer. So that sort of leaves the Luna Moth on its own .... I wasn't aware of any others in the 'series' and Joel confirmed that, besides a few prototypes, no others exist. 

Rather than let the Luna Moth pine away on its own, I decided to try and find a second Luna Moth, so we'd have three pairs of original Joel Scholz kites to fly. 

Easier said than done .... these kites rarely come up for sale, and if they do, it's usually a Neptune or Jaws. Besides the one we got, I'd never ever seen a Luna Moth offered for sale ... Hen's teeth anyone?

But good things come to those who wait, and I finally managed to get my hands on a second Luna Moth! Searching for one, I put no restrictions on colour scheme, and as luck would have it, I couldn't have found a better one to match the Moth we already have!


New one on the left, old one on the right. Match also to our team colours: blue for me, red for Irma. And after a bit of bridle tweaking, they flew as well together as they looked!


Can you guess I'm really pleased about this addition to our pair quiver? Pretty pleased with the picture as well, I must say; taking pictures while flying remains a bit hit-and-miss, but this is clearly a 'hit'!

No comments:

Post a Comment